Students viewing objects from the Archives for a class project
Students tour the Special Collections Room
The Special Collections Room at Everett Library form a nexus of rare and unique materials in several formats. Rare books include a number of limited edition and fine press publications, a facsimile reproduction of the Gutenburg Bible and a Bible donated to the University by King George VI of England in 1950. One of the oldest items in the collection is a rare Scottish Bible published in 1766 donated by the St. Andrew Society of Carolina. Former local bookstore owner John Barringer donated an impressive library of signed first edition copies of famous works as well as rare books to Special Collections. In addition, there are book and manuscript collections related to the history of Charlotte and Western North Carolina.
The Special Collections Room is located on the 2nd floor of the library and is open during regular library hours to students and faculty for individual (non-group) study. It is a quiet study zone and is food and cell phone free.
History of the Special Collections Room:
On March 6, 1978, Dr. Norris Preyer, Emeritus Professor of Queens University of Charlotte, proposed a plan for the acquisition and development of the Special Collections Room in Everett Library. Dr. Preyer wrote:
Items acquired for this room should be centered around a few common themes to give coherence and unity to the collection. The three themes selected seek to meet four objectives:
The three themes are: The Queens College Collection, The Local History Collection, and The Art of the Book-Maker.
The Special Collections Room is named in honor of Rena Chambers Harrell, librarian of Everett Library from 1927 - 1957, and holds materials related to the history of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County, books by North Carolina and southern authors, as well as rare and distinctive books and materials. Included in the mission of collecting books that show the "art of the book maker," facsimile reproductions of the Gutenberg Bible and Book of Hours as well as an original Fore-Edge Book are displayed. The collection is available to patrons by requesting an appointment with the Archivist.