Skip to Main Content

Archives & Special Collections

A guide to the Archives & Special Collections of Everett Library.

St. Andrew Society of Carolina Collection

In 2005, Everett Library was chosen as the repository for a generous gift of Scottish literature previously located in the home libraries of members of the St. Andrew Society of Carolina

Located in the Rena Harrell Special Collections Room in Everett Library of Queens University of Charlotte, the 400+ volumes include books on Scottish history, folklore, culture, and fiction.  It is the hope of the Society that a book of some significance may be added each year to continually enhance the collection.

The St. Andrew Society of Carolina was founded in 1955, with Dr. Douglas Glasgow as the principal organizer. It should not be confused with the St. Andrew's Society of North Carolina. 

The objectives of the Society are to perpetuate Scottish traditions and culture, to promote the establishment and growth of Scottish Societies and organizations and to encourage and support the activities of Scottish events.

For information on membership, please contact the Society

John Barringer Collection

Since opening Little Professor Book Center (now Park Road Books) in the Park Road Shopping Center in August of 1977, John and his wife collected an impressive library of first editions, signed copies of famous works, and rare books.  In the summer of 2012, this collection was generously donated to Everett Library for display.  Aided by a donation from the Friends of the Library at Queens, a beautiful glass-fronted cabinet was purchased to house the collection. Students and visitors to Everett may browse the collection, located on Everett Library's mezzanine.

Preyer American History Collection

The Preyer American History Collection consists of ninety-eight of Dr. Norris Preyer's personal books, focusing on American History. The books are non-circulating but may be accessed by patrons with librarian assistance. The books are housed in a cabinet donated by Kathryn Preyer. The collection also consists of photos and mementos from Dr. Preyer's study and his tenure at Queens.

Dr. Norris Preyer came to Queens in 1957 and served the University until his retirement in 1990. His enthusiasm and love of his subject made him a favorite with students for more than 30 years. He served as Chair of the History Department during most of those years and was named the Dana Professor of History.

Kathryn Preyer has also been very influential at Queens. She is the founder of Friends of the Library and a founding member of Friends of Music and Friends of Art. She received the Algernon Sydney Sullivan Award from Queens in 1974. Both Kathryn and Norris were named Honorary Alumni by the Queens Alumni Association.